suffer from loss-unexpected moment
She lied peacefully in my hug. I held her hands firmly without a sound. Yeah....I didn't know what to say though. I just kept murmuring by myself, "Mommy...mommy! Can you please wake up? You promised me a bedtime story remember? Mommy answer me! Oh, I know let's take turn. Let me read you one, all right? Which one do you want? The Snow Woman or The Unfortunate Dwarf? Mommy...please answer me!!!"
Tears started falling down my cheek. I had no idea what a seven-year old girl like me supposed to do that moment. I questioned the sparkling stars and the mighty moon which just remain silent in the sky. "Can you please give her back to me? I don't want any more Christmas present! I just want her! I just want my mommy!!!" I shouted loudly and blamed myself for what a useless daughter I was.
The clock stroke for the tenth times. I wiped my tears off and thought to myself. That wasn't a proper time to cry. Crying wouldn't even wake her up from the long sleep. "It's time to be a big girl now, right mommy? A big girl doesn't cry!" Nothing much I could do but to wait for the return of Aunt Jane, my mom's sister back from her work. Hail must terribly stop her on the way home. I stared at the window once more. My mind was flying back to the past, the time where everything seemed just a dream.
"Sally, my sweetheart! When will you grow up like those children?" asked her with a clear voice. "Don't worry mommy...I will. But, can you wait until the next Christmas finish? I won't get a special Christmas present from Santa Claus if I'm adult already, will i?"
"What a silly sweety pie! All children, except one, grow up. And it's you Sally the silly." She caressed my black shiny hair and smiled happily. It was the nicest smile that I had ever seen from her and I was relieved that I was able to see one in this despair.
I could never forget her as a strong, lively, cheerful and wise woman as well as the best mommy n the universe. She must be there when I need her warm hands. Daddy had gone when I was just five years old. Mommy had been really well playing her role as a good mummy and also replacing my daddy's place. It wasn't that easy I knew.
The nightmare arrived on us that summer. Daddy was injured badly on his head while working in the shoe factory. The tragedy stabbed her heart painfully and broke it into pieces. She was extremely shocked and not a single word could even come out from he small lips. She hugged me tight and whispered. "Daddy had left both of us. He had gone to a place where we couldn't reach...."
I understood what she actually meant. It was tough for a small kid like me, looking at the fact that my dad had died tragically. Mommy ought to be the one who trully regretted his death. She loved him so much that she cried secretly every night. However, she never show me that side, her real weakness. Her patience and love are all that sucessfully dragged me out of this madness.
Since then, mommy had worked twice more than usual. She worked harder and longer to earn for the living. She even asked her sister help, Aunt Jane to stay with us to keep an eye on me while she worked. Thanks to her that I had never missed my three meals everyday. Amazingly, she didn't complain and take it as a granted in this cruel life.
If only I could rewind the time. If only I was able to cheer her and wiped her precious tears off. If only I could sing a lullabye song for her good night sleep. I only I had my last chance to grant her little wish and make her proud. But it was too late already. Her smooth face turns blue and pale. Her soft voive and laught weren't echoing in the room anymore. Her lip was meant to be silent. Her hands had lost the power. Her shine had died, sinking in the deepest sorrow. And her brown eyes would be shut forever, without a light....
created by the writer
a regret always come at the end.
appreciate every little thing that people do for your own good. losing the one who you care the most is not a piece of cake. you may sometime not think and realise how important they are to you while sitting and talking beside you. Whoever surround you, either your family or your good friends, is still surprising when suddenly you stop hearing those jokes, laughs, smile, anger from them. (I'm experiencing now and it was a totally shock for me) Share your most valuable time with them as long as possible because time will soon changes everything and will never turn back anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment